College Academic Writing: Do's and Don'ts Latest 2022 Guide
Academic writing is an integral and inevitable part of a college degree. Over time colleges have started to pay more attention to academic writing owing to its extensive use in professional fields and careers. Grades of college students are also now highly affected by the performance they show in courses related to academic writing.
Academic writing is a formal, logical, structured, and evidence-based form of writing in which the essay writer presents a clear, concise, and unbiased argument or thesis statement and supports the argument with the help of research-based pieces of evidence, statistics, and opinions of the experts of the relevant field.
This form of writing is often carried out in high schools, colleges, universities, research groups, and scholarly works and publications. Some common forms of academic writing styles or formats include essays, dissertations/ thesis, reports, research papers, review papers, articles, etc. If you do not want to write your essay and are tired to work on a long essay, then you can ask a paper writing service free to help you with the essay.
Just like any other piece of writing, the academic writings have a basic structure like introduction, then the body of essay followed conclusion however, since it is more formal, research-based, targets a more aware audience, and is for scientific research purposes, hence there are some conventions and dos and don’ts that need to be taken care of while writing an academic paper or essay. You should know that you can always ask "could you help write my essay" from a senior.
The list of dos and don’ts of academic writing provided below is the one comprising the tips that any of the essay writing service in the market swear by. Hence, using them as a guide will help students convert their ordinary essays or papers into impeccable ones.
Dos of Academic Writing
- Academic writing is a formal piece of writing hence the language and tone used shall also be formal.
- The style used to present various other researches and the one reported in the paper shall also be formal and objective.
- Use easy-to-understand vocabulary and less complicated and lengthy sentences.
- The language used should be clear and words should precisely explain your meaning and there shall be no ambiguity created by any word or phrase used.
- · Don’t use any informal or unfamiliar words in academic writing likeSlang for example lit, highkey, lowkey,
- Unintroduced abbreviations or acronyms,
- Contractions for instance can’t, won’t, don’t, isn’t
- Controversial or conflicting phrases like cold fire, fully empty, hating love.
- Clichés like in the nick of time, at the speed of light.
- sexist or racist language for instance Black Americans
- Colloquialisms like gonna, ain’t.
- Don’t use hedging for instance "perhaps this would help readers" should be replaced with a more concise and direct sentence like "this should help readers".
If you feel overwhelmed with all the rules, you can take help from a cheap paper writing service. Also, if the work does not match your requirements, you can claim revision as many times as you want without any extra charges.
Structure of the paper/ essay: Dos
- Always start your academic writing whatever form it may be from an introductory paragraph.
- An academic essay or paper shall always end with a concluding paragraph that shall summarize the paper, represent the thesis, and provide a proper concluding remark or a call to action.
- One body paragraph shall discuss one idea which shall be presented in the form of the topic sentence. The topic sentence shall be the very first sentence of a body paragraph.
- Each claim within the body paragraph shall be backed by one or two pieces of evidence at least and every piece of evidence shall be explained using a couple of supporting sentences.
- Information shall be presented In a manner that shall be sequential, logical, and not random.
- The transition between paragraphs shall be smooth, for this purpose use the transitions words that are generally recommended by expert writers like therefore, nonetheless, additionally, also, moreover, henceforth, initially, conclusively, consequently, etc.
- All of the body paragraphs and topic sentences shall be connected to, relevant to, and supportive of the thesis statement.
- Use correct punctuations where necessary.
Structure of the paper/ essay: Don’ts
- Avoid writing long run-on sentences that are not even connected with proper linking words or phrases.
- Paragraphs shall neither be too lengthy nor too small.
- Repetition of words and vocabulary shall be avoided.
- Do not give personal opinions or suggestions that have nothing to do with the facts.
- Avoid making any form of assumptions.
- Avoid questions that are too direct in the running text for instance can global warming be gotten rid of? That is a very direct and general question. Either not use it or elaborate it further.
- Avoid unsystematic bullets, numbering, and sequencing.
Referencing and Citation: Dos
- Use as many sources to support your claim as possible
- Ensure that the sources used are authentic and reliable.
- Analyze sources for relevance and credibility before using them in the essay.
- Cite every piece of information that does not belong to you and is taken from another writer’s work. Whether paraphrased or quoted directly, always add in-text citations as well as reference list entries for every source used.
- Use correct format to write in-text citations and reference lists or bibliographic entries.
- Know the rules of direct quotations of the recommended format like APA, MLA, Harvard and then follow them.
Referencing and Citation: Don’ts
- Do not plagiarize. Always remember to give due credit to every writer whose work has been relied upon while writing the essays in supporting the claims made in the essay.
- Don’t use unreliable websites like Wikipedia.
Some general dos and don’ts of academic writing include:
- Do not forget to proofread and then edit accordingly
- Use headings and subheadings where necessary especially in longer pieces of writing.
- Be consistent in capitalization, numbering, abbreviations, spelling (UK or US), tenses, and terms.
- Avoid using far-reaching generalizations.
Sticking to these dos and don’ts has made my task much easier whenever I write my paper hence, I recommend all the students who want to pass in flying grades to follow these too. If you are not able to write a good essay you can ask cheap essay writing service to write one for you. These companies help students to get good grades by providing them with customized essay.
For More Information: